Fighting for the Golden Age comics publisher THEY say never was
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Lee Conjecture

Go down 
+3
Loggerhead
VenusOrBust
ROC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ROC

ROC

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Stanley Martin Lieber. The world knows and loves him as Smilin' Stan Lee, comic book writer and editor, creator of classic heroes like Spiderman and the X­Men. Characters that helped define what superheroes are even today are multimillion dollar franchises. But do we really know him at all?

Born in 1922 and raised in a one­ room apartment in the Bronx. In 1939 he joined Marvel Comics as an office boy but before long he was writing comic books himself. By the end of 1941 he had maneuvered himself in to the rule of Editor­ in­ Chief. Over the next twenty years he claimed credit for creating the Hulk, Thor, Doctor Strange, the X­-Men, and crucially, Spider­ Man. He built a cult of personality that endures today.

Now think of Max Korn, born a generation earlier to immigrant parents. Despite struggles with the um English language he began publishing comics in 1933. He gave us Johnny Delta, Princess Valentine, Thor­ Ax, Dark Ocelot...creations whose influence is still felt today. But as Marvel rose meteorically, others fell. The early 1960s was Marvel’s renaissance, but the great days of Stupefying Yarns were over. Some blame the Comics Code, some look to darker forces.

In time, their printed legacy began to be bought up by nameless parties, the records suppressed, and today their names are all but forgotten. Who had reason to destroy the one of the foremost comics creators of his day? Who built a career on the backs of better men and women, running roughshod over anyone who stood in his way? Who had the vast influence and resources to blot out an entire chapter in comics history? Perhaps the enemy has always been here, hiding in plain sight.

My fellow Yarnies, I give you: The Lee Conjecture.
Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Joking? Not joking?
Back to top Go down
Loggerhead

Loggerhead

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:03 pm

This is bonkers IMHO. No one's done more for the comics industry than Stan. And DC is a thriving institution, why didn't he go after them?

If Stupefying Yarns went into decline it's because they tried to adjust to the Comics Code and couldn't. Have you seen the 1960s Johnny Delta where he's showing beatniks the error of their ways? "Take a bath, hippie!"
Back to top Go down
SkyBandit

SkyBandit

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:07 pm

+1

We love our Yarns but if art can't compete in the marketplace maybe it doesn't deserve to continue. 1960's Johnny had some valid points.
Back to top Go down
ROC

ROC

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SkyBandit

SkyBandit

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 pm

"Achievement of your happiness is the only moral purpose of your life, and that happiness, not pain or mindless self-indulgence, is the proof of your moral integrity, since it is the proof and the result of your loyalty to the achievement of your values."

Ayn Rand
Back to top Go down
ROC

ROC

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 pm

...must...not...ban...
Back to top Go down
Loggerhead

Loggerhead

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I can't always tell when people are arguing playfully or in earnest so I will just say that TheYarnies.com is not intended as a forum for political debate. Let's confine ourselves to sharing and celebrating Max Korn's legacy, shall we?
Back to top Go down
SkyBandit

SkyBandit

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyThu Aug 23, 2018 9:35 pm

The Lee Conjecture Haters10
Back to top Go down
Flubber
Admin
Flubber

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 10:16 am

ROC wrote:
My fellow Yarnies, I give you: The Lee Conjecture.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Back to top Go down
http://www.theyarnies.com
LilSmartAx

LilSmartAx

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 10:30 am

As little as I like breaking up the party can I remind you that there *is* a problem out there? The disappearance of Max Korn's work from the public record cannot be an accident. We know the coverup has taken decades and that it's incredibly thorough and extends into government records. We know there is a substantial amount of money involved. And yes this is just comics but if you're ignoring this or think it's a quirky mystery you're not thinking clearly.
Back to top Go down
Inflictress1

Inflictress1

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm

*Ahem*

The Comics Code brought down Stupefying Yarns more than anything else. Granted it was clunky and unoriginal sometimes but Max Korn had just a spark of something no one else did. Stupefying was unpredictable, just a little weirder than everything around it. Tales of Old Gnarly had those uncanny cults and crazy settings and let's face it got a little racy sometimes - all to the good! And okay - as noted elsewhere - even straight-faced old Johnny Delta had something to say about what was happening in Europe. And don't get me started on what was going on with Strate and Flush.

Post-1954 it's like night and day. Once they started looking over their shoulders at the CCA I think they lost their bearings.

Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture EmptyFri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm

@inflictress

"Scenes dealing with, or instruments associated with walking dead, torture, vampires and vampirism, ghouls, cannibalism, and werewolfism are prohibited." I feel like that one was aimed right at Stupefying Yarns. Knocked the heart right out of it.

:-(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Lee Conjecture Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lee Conjecture   The Lee Conjecture Empty

Back to top Go down

The Lee Conjecture
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fighting for the Golden Age comics publisher THEY say never was  :: YARNIE CENTRAL :: THE OLD FORUM :: Longer Yarns-
Jump to: