Fighting for the Golden Age comics publisher THEY say never was
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story

Go down 
+3
BigAppleYarnie
Inflictress1
Loggerhead
7 posters

The greatest Old Gnarly tale is...
Heretic of Moros
Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_lcap14%Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Vengeance in the Southern Seas
Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_lcap43%Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_rcap
 43% [ 3 ]
The Apatite Conundrum
Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_lcap29%Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Arena of Agony
Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_lcap0%Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
White Queen of the North
Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_lcap14%Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
Loggerhead

Loggerhead

Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story Empty
PostSubject: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 12:18 pm

A *major* lost chapter in American fantasy. A deeper world than anything Robert E. Howard or Dunsany or even Lovecraft gave us. Realpolitik, mysterious cults, and axe-wielding mayhem!

We (aka a shadowy cabal) picked our top five issues - now you can vote for the best. May the Secret Masters bless your favorite.

Feel free to argue for your favorite in the comments...that's why we have them :-)

Last edited by Loggerhead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inflictress1

Inflictress1

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 12:43 pm

Heretic of Moros. His speech at the trial - "now who is the true Moros, you or I?" And at the end when the clockwork starts moving again...!!! 

Most incredible though - years later I was in Mexico at Chichen Itza and I swear it was the same skyline. Imagine doing that level of research in those times. That's why we show up for the Yarns.
Back to top Go down
BigAppleYarnie

BigAppleYarnie

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 12:47 pm

The Apatite Conundrum.

I can't bring myself to reveal it but...I remember reading it under the covers with a flashlight and I literally gasped at the last panel. And then I had to go back through and figure out how he knew it was the fake Esme. Genius.
Back to top Go down
SkyBandit

SkyBandit

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 12:52 pm

+1 .  I always loved when the Apate showed up. Taught me a good lesson: no one is who they seem.
Back to top Go down
SK8

SK8

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Vengeance! So I never actually read it but great-uncle Spink told me the story a hundred times. I think Esme's underrated anyway.
Back to top Go down
SPINK_

SPINK_

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 am

Vengeance indeed! I love it when Esme gets the spotlight and it's a part of Old Gnarly I hadn't seen before. 

For those who don't know, Esme and Thor'Ax journey to the southern seas and we get a piece of Esme's story. She left the place chained to an oar thanks to her husband's treachery and returns with vengeance on her mind. You've rarely seen a more satisfying ending.
Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't know about *best*, but White Queen of the North was my *favorite*.

Thor'Ax is called home to the White Wastes, where we find - shocker! - he is supposed to marry this albino princess type. Give the girl credit, she can wear a mini-dress in a blizzard and make it look good, but her heart is colder than the Caves of Ice. Hijinks ensue, obviously.

I always thought EVERYBODY knew this is where they stole the plot for AMOK TIME from, but the Trekkers will never admit it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story   Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story Empty

Back to top Go down

Poll: Tales of Old Gnarly - vote for the best story
Page 1 of 1