Fighting for the Golden Age comics publisher THEY say never was
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grail Sighting?

Go down 
+4
BigAppleYarnie
Flubber
Inflictress1
SPINK_
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SPINK_

SPINK_

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Interesting news - we have an unconfirmed sighting of the Wasserstein Grail. My cousin and Yarnie fellow traveler saw an object roughly corresponding to the so-called Holy Grail at a flea market outside Indianapolis. Description makes it a little small and it *sounds* a little too nice for what we're talking about. About 150 miles from last reported location but who knows? Any Yarnies available to check it out? PM for details.
Back to top Go down
Inflictress1

Inflictress1

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Oh no oh no. Spink we love you but please don't send someone on a wild goose chase here. I never thought the grail was a plausible idea and certainly don't think it's in a magical curiosity shoppe in the Midwest.
Back to top Go down
Flubber
Admin
Flubber

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 pm

May I suggest that anyone looking into this please exercise due discretion. If this is a genuine sighting, whatever weirdness has attached itself to Stupefying Yarns online sales - a rival collector or whatever it is - could be showing up to the party.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theyarnies.com
BigAppleYarnie

BigAppleYarnie

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Wait wait what is the Grail *exactly*. I've seen people talk about it like we're all supposed to know. I'm not an OG Yarnie!
Back to top Go down
LilSmartAx

LilSmartAx

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Okay well, what Flubber said x100000

I don't know how many times I have to say this. I don't know why someone hates (or loves) Stupefying Yarns comics this much, but they do. It is *documented* how much money and effort has gone into suppressing their existence, and for how long - we're talking forty years at least? This is far more likely to be a governmental agency than anything else.

I don't know why no one other than myself wants to take this seriously but please think for a minute. If the Grail is real (which I doubt) it's the biggest cache of SY material for a long time. We can't be the only ones paying attention.
Back to top Go down
SPINK_

SPINK_

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 5:36 pm

All of your points are well-taken and appreciated. I've been around the weirdness surrounding the SY legacy as long as any of you. But that just gives me confidence there's some of it left - I've *seen* these comics, they can't all have disappeared.

There's someone else looking for them, of that we can be sure, and they're determined. But it's just comic books, isn't it? It's worth a look.

And thank you to the Yarnie who has volunteered to investigate. I won't say who it is but I wish you good hunting.
Back to top Go down
SPINK_

SPINK_

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyWed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 pm

@bigappleyarnie it's a long story! But for the moment be on the lookout for a tinfoil-covered paper maché goblet about eighteen inches high. Find it and you'll have made a good start.

Details when I have a moment to post properly. Will the yardwork never end!
Back to top Go down
SPINK_

SPINK_

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Let me say a little more before confusion sets in. There is or was an actual Grail, I'm virtually certain because I've talked to the man who made it. That was Henry Wasserstein who I ran into at a barbecue in the mid-1960s. We turned out to have liked Stupefying Yarns and I commented as to how they were getting impossible to find.

He let it drop that at some point in the 1950s (speculation gravitates to ’54), he had a school crafts project to do. He had an active imagination and chose to make a sizable replica of the holy grail of King Arthur legend. Young Wasserstein covered this with multiple layers of papier ­mâché (pardon my French), and then wrapped it in aluminum foil to simulate a snazzy silver exterior.

Why do we care? Because one ingredient in papier­ mâché is newsprint and Wasserstein alleges that some of that newsprint was in fact a Stupefying Yarns comics. Thus, the Holy Grail!
Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 7:32 pm

I drove down and didn't find a thing. :-(

But FWIW I'm still a Grailite!
Back to top Go down
BigAppleYarnie

BigAppleYarnie

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyFri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 am

So exciting! This is kind of thing is exactly why I came to this site.

What's happening now? Is Wasserstein still around?
Back to top Go down
SPINK_

SPINK_

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 11:09 am

@bigappleyarnie

Here's the thing: In the early 1970s Wasserstein went back on his story and began to deny both the Grail’s existence and any knowledge of Stupefying Yarns. Last time I talked to him he was *very* unfriendly. Couldn't get off the phone fast enough. He never changed his mind, until his accidental death in 1977. He's survived by his wife Elizabeth with whom we've had limited contact.

Back to top Go down
ROC

ROC

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 8:59 am

I was the "limited contact" - drove by in the early 90s when I was up in Chicago for the startup. She was friendly enough when I said I knew her husband (lie). I got a glimpse of the attic - baby carriage, toboggan, raccoon coat, no grail.

I came back a few years later and different story. New husband and she acted *paranoid*. The lady owns a handgun and I don't recommend anyone follow up.
Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Has anyone thought about posing as a cable guy? Posting a bounty? Just spitballing here...

Back to top Go down
ROC

ROC

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyWed Sep 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Annnnnd we're all accessories before the fact. Personally I would advise against it.
Back to top Go down
LilSmartAx

LilSmartAx

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 10:13 pm

don't @ me
2-1-15

Grail Sighting? Galaha10

Last edited by LilSmartAx on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SkyBandit

SkyBandit

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 pm

"a woman to whom the problems and feats of men are mere child's play"

5-2-9
Back to top Go down
VenusOrBust

VenusOrBust

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? EmptySat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 am

What/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grail Sighting? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grail Sighting?   Grail Sighting? Empty

Back to top Go down

Grail Sighting?
Page 1 of 1